Pages

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Weekly Update - 17.05.10 - 23.05.10

SWIM

Swims x 4

~10km

Haven't gotten my A into G yet to find a squad to join, its on my to do list... Did a short swim at the Lloyd Elsmore Pool this week which is down the road from my work and, most importantly, free to use. I was just pootling along doing a few 200's when the lane ropes disappeared turning the pool into a huge free for all. I continued along my black line for a bit but had to evacuate once too many kids came in, good for my dodging skills though.

BIKE

Time: 9hrs19
Distance: 232km

No long Sunday ride this week bringing down the distance and volume a bit. Did the TT on Saturday, good conditions without much wind so did my standard 24.30ish. Power was a bit average but bearing in mind I had a half marathon to run the next day it was no biggie. The weather has started to turn a bit poo so am digging out the winter gear and dusting off the dreaded windtrainer.

RUN

Time: 4hrs
Distance: ~52.3km

Started doing some track work this week in lieu of my O'Hagans 5km, and it went ok. Did some 2km, 1500m, 800s and 100s so had a good variety (even though I run them all at the same speed..) so will continue at the track from now on.
Did Huntly Half Marathon on Sunday which doubled as the NZ Half Marathon Champs. I really didn't know how this was going to go since my 5km times have been slower than normal but I had done more long runs than this time last year. I was aiming to run under 90mins and my plan was to run the first 5km with one of my Lawson friends (I have the tendency to run the first 5km WAY too fast and then suffer for the rest of the way) and then see how I go. So I latched onto Jess when I saw her at the start and we got through the first 5km in a couple of seconds over 20mins which was pretty much where I wanted to be. I thought I might be able to drop Jess over the next few kms but she hung in there so we ran together and I hoped she wouldn't want a sprint finish. Its a hard course - running across a field, on gravel and rolling hills that never end, but we kept a steady pace and picked up a tough oldie who wouldn't let us pass her so we ran the last 10km together.
No funny business at the end, the oldie upped the pace in the last km so I tried to keep up but ended up a few seconds behind and I'm not sure if Jess was just happy to stay behind me or was too wasted to sprint for it but she finished 5secs behind.
So overall time of 1.27.10 which is my second fastest half marathon, got to be pretty happy with that. I was almost 2mins quicker than last year and a few seconds quicker than the year before but the course was different then (way harder now).
Quads took a hammering in the last couple of kms so wasn't feeling too sprightly afterwards but my chocolate strike ended so I was able to celebrate with a couple of hokey pokey mallowpuffs mmmmmmmmm.


Me and my pacemaker with about 7km to go

Happy not to be sprinting

No comments:

Post a Comment