Pages

Friday, March 4, 2011

Pre-IMNZ update

Hello and welcome to Taupo!!
We arrived at Tri-geek central yesterday and had a busy afternoon with registration, seeing and being seen at the expo, race briefing, massage and then carbo dinner.
Taupo is crawling with compression-clad, visor wearing, water bottle sipping athletes so I fit right in.
The nerves are definitely starting to creep in especially seeing all the race paraphernalia, fit people and fast bikes.
I had finally managed to get my weight a bit closer to race weight at my last weigh in before leaving Auckland only to get to registration and to somehow have gained 2kg over the course of the morning!! I was NOT impressed. I was wearing heavy denim shorts and shoes which they wouldn't let me take off though but my volunteer was not very nice about my weight anyway and said that I was too light anyway - how rude, does she not realize I'm probably about a foot shorter than anyone else she has weighed?!! It pisses me off when people feel the need to comment on my weight - I'm not underweight just underheight!! Anyway the general consensus is that the scales were making everyone heavier so I'm glad it wasn't just me.
RooRoo is all ready to go, sporting some sexy new bar tape care of my dear friend Neilio who was horrified at my rangi looking patched up bar tape.
Neilio you are my hero :)

Unfortuately Neilio's generosity didn't extend to a pair of Zipp's so I will be the only Pro rocking the training wheels but I have good tyres so in my little mind that is all that matters...
Sadly the weather does not look like it will be coming to the party with a forecast of rain with some heavy falls, it doesn't look like it will be too cold which is good because

rain+cold=very bad for Little Muppets

But I am still indecisive about the best clothing choice for the bike ie vest or no vest, I don't want to get cold if it does rain a bit but don't want to overheat if the rain doesn't really happen... Decisions, decisions...
The forecast today was not so great but so far it has been cloudy without any rain so fingers crossed for the same tomorrow. The sun even poked its little head out a few minutes ago.
Come out tomorrow sun, please, please...
This morning we went for a 10min run through the bush with no hip fidgey-widgeyness which is good news, followed by a quick swim in the lake.
I didn't want to get too excited in case it was a fluke, but last week I did up my LittleMuppet B70 Helix suit BY MYSELF!! And I successfully repeated it today, here is a video of it for the non-believers out there. Starts out a bit slowly but I get there in the end, the comments from Kezzle gives you an insight into what I have been having to put up with for the last 24hrs.
So the big unknown for tomorrow is how my hip will go. Swim and bike should be ok but I have no idea what to expect from the run, but lets face it - its Ironman, anything can happen, I could be in the best running form of my life and run myself into some kind of injury so I don't really think I'm any worse off than anyone else here. Luckily I have the use of the Gayman so will start out nice and easy and plan to maintain that pace.
Not much I can do about it now anyway so I will sit here and relax and take silly photos with Kezzle and just hope for the best tomorrow. 
Pre-Ironman madness

No comments:

Post a Comment