Pages

Saturday, February 9, 2013

3 Weeks til IMNZ!!

So I managed to pull myself out of my post 70.3 depression and get on with life and with Ironman NZ training.
After my horrific swim I decided to seek a new opinion on my swimming so contacted Andy Mackay from Boost Coaching to see if he could help me.  It actually took him about 7 months to contact me as I originally asked for his help in May but used his junk email address and he didn't discover my email until the beginning of the year - I had just assumed that he thought I was a lost cause and couldn't help me.
So he watched me swimming from all angles and we identified some problems - some I knew were there and didn't know how to fix and some which I didn't know about.
So I now have a few things to work on and my little brain gets a bit overworked as I swimming along trying to think about my head position, my kick, where my hand is leaving the water, where my hand is entering the water and how far have I swum.
Brain overload.
But hopefully something will work in the next few weeks and I can pull out a semi-decent swim in Taupo.

We went down to Taupo to train on the course last weekend and to get a preview of the pain and suffering we are going to experience in a couple of weeks.  In the previous years we have had a three day training weekend to spread out the pain and suffering but this time we decided to do it all on the same day.  Fun.
The swim was nice, the lake was calm and not too cold.  Hopefully the same conditions on race day.
The bike was a 120km solo effort where I spread myself all over the course loosing a bottle, the lid off my tubes and tools bottle and then subsequently my tyre levers.  Take home message = tie everything down.
The run was supposed to be 24km but was shortened to 21km due to not having any aid stations or support and not wanting to die of dehydration and/or heat exhaustion.
When then popped over to Kinloch to watch the Elites race in the Oceania Cup.  Just watching them made my legs even more sore.
Overall the day went pretty well and was a good rehabilitation for my confidence muscle which was quite badly injured at the 70.3.

Now just need to get a couple more long bikes and long runs in and hopefully I shall be ready to roll on March the 2nd.

The job situation is quite grim at the moment (anyone out there want to give me a job? I think I would make a great PA...) so I am taking a few days down in Cambridge with Coach Poo to get in some decent training and hopefully get the chance to ride the IMNZ course again (because it is so fun).

Adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment