Pages

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Big Jo training - the rest of December...

SWIM

Following my swim of redemption at Taupo I have been feeling a bit better about my swimming and figured to keep going with the long swims.  The whole Christamas/New Year thing is always a bit of a pain so I have only managed one long swim of 6km and the rest 3-4km.  I had a seemingly trivial sunburnt lip from the half which got infected and ruled my life for a week or so and I had to miss 2 swims in order to keep it dry.  Thank god that has cleared up now and I don't look like I am walking around a dead fly on my bottom lip.

BIKE

I took the week followed Taupo pretty easy and got back into it by the weekend with some efforts and a 4hr ride.  Christmas Day (being a Sunday) was a long ride day so got in a 4hr+ ride with not too much traffic which was nice.
We went down to Cook's Beach in the Coromandel after Christmas and a friend from swimming was staying around the corner and was keen to ride the K2 course.  I have ridden both halves of the course and the Tairua/Whitianga section many times but never the whole thing so after a bit of convincing I was pretty keen.  We decided to do it in reverse to get the Tairua-Thames section out of the way because that would be the busiest, I wasn't sure if that made it harder or easier than the usual way.  Since it is about 15km each way from Cook's Beach to SH25 we actually missed the Whitanga-Cook's Beach section on the way back and caught the ferry back otherwise it would have been about 220km which is just ridiculous.
We were going well until the 120km mark a bit before Coromandel town which my riding buddy experienced a nuclear meltdown.  We stopped for some lunch in Coromandel to refuel with only 40km to go to get to Whitianga.  Unfortunately this was the toughest section with some very nasty hills and headwinds, I actually felt pretty good considering it was the longest I had been on my bike for in a very long time however my companion was not in quite as good spirits and ended up having to walk up one of the last big hills and probably didn't really appreciate me standing at the top laughing.  Anyhoo we made it back to Cook's Beach with 184km on the Taptap - so there is my Wanaka training done in one hit.
View from some hill before Coromandel - looked a lot nicer in the flesh
 RUN

Trying to squeeze some long runs in without hurting myself so I have been doing only one or two runs during the week then 90mins+ in the weekend.  Managed 1hr45 today in about 1000% humidity - my eyeballs felt like they were overheating just having sunglasses on.  I think I will be slightly underdone in the running department for Wanaka but it is going to be hard either way.

What's everyone waiting for?

One for you Coach Lawson

No comments:

Post a Comment